Sunday, July 6, 2008

Coomes Rec Center


This summer I've worked at the Harry L. Coomes Rec Center as a concession stand girl. I made hot dogs, hamburgers, barbecue, popcorn and chili. I also collected the admission to get into the outdoor pool. Working at the rec center was a lot of fun because I worked with people my own age. But it also was a pain because parents complain, children get hurt, and teenagers get into fights.
This one Saturday made history becasue of all the drama. I was working with this girl Sarah, who turned out to be one of my closest friends there this summer, and nothing was going our way. The pool was packed and there wasn't enough help at the concession stand. People were complaining left and right. The first incident was a fight between two high school boys and the cops had to come. One girl slipped and fell and blood was all over the pool deck. The mother came to complain to us about our policies. Then this couple in the pool wasn't paying attention to their infant son in a inflatable tube. The baby flipped over multiple times and a lifeguard had to keep telling them to watch their child. The couple decided to leave and on their way out yelled at Sarah and I and asked for our boss. Apparently they thought the lifeguard was rude for saving their childs life. Connie, the head guard, realized we were having some difficulty and offered to man the stand while we took a break. We decided to take a short swim to cool down and it worked! I felt so much better once I had that break. When I got out the pool this little boy was in the bathroom, having troubles, and his mom blamed it on the chili I made. My day went right back to being miserable. But it turned out that we laughed about it later.

At the rec center I met Ian, a lifeguard that works there too. He's an eagle scout (somehow I always end up dating boy scouts) and he went to Philmont for two weeks. While there he sent me roses for my birthday. He goes to school at King College in Tennesee and he is on the swim team. I'll let you know how it works out!


1 comment:

Katie said...

Can we say cutie pie?!

Oh, and the guy is cute too.
:)